For an outline of the art curriculum by year group, please see our Curriculum Guides.
Philosophy of the Art Department
To produce a dynamic and creative environment that combines traditional media and new technologies to enable pupils to express their creativity, realise their imaginations and increase their self-esteem. This environment will give every pupil the opportunity to engage in and learn about the range of media and breadth of artistic activities the department offers. This will ultimately prepare the pupils for independent learning by developing their own concepts individually in personal project work.
- To encourage a passion for art.
- To enrich pupils’ visual understanding.
- To allow pupils to realise their imaginations and develop original thought, and to express themselves in a variety of media.
- To provide pupils with the skills, concepts and knowledge necessary for them to express their responses to ideas, feelings and experiences in a visual and tactile form.
- To enable the pupils to become visually literate by understanding art as a visual and tactile communication and to develop their ability to appreciate and evaluate images and artefacts.
- To develop pupils’ aesthetic awareness and enable them to make informed critical responses about their work and that of others.
- To introduce a broad spectrum of artists and Art movements, to develop the meaning and values of art from past, modern and contemporary art; to encourage a sense of Art history and an awareness of the contributions of artists from many cultures.
- To engage in the processes of art enthusiastically with two-dimensional and three-dimensional images.
- To embrace new technology in art and encourage experimentation with developments in this field.
- To provide equal opportunity for all pupils to fulfil potential, regardless of their gender, cultural background or ability.
Please click here to see examples of animations created by pupils during art lessons and in their own time.
Year 4 Pottery - spring term
Created: 13 Feb 20 11:37 | Last modified: 14 Feb 20 17:01
Year 7 clocks
Created: 7 Feb 20 17:23 | Last modified: 7 Feb 20 17:33
Year 3 Art
Created: 7 Feb 20 17:10 | Last modified: 7 Feb 20 17:23
Year 1 enjoyed reading Leaf Man by Lois Elhert. We collected leaves and created our own leaf people and wrote adventure stories for our leaf character.
Created: 21 Nov 19 14:46 | Last modified: 22 Nov 19 14:41
Year 8 Art - Autumn 2019
Created: 11 Oct 19 12:55 | Last modified: 11 Oct 19 17:08
Art and DT Autumn 2019
Created: 20 Sep 19 17:00 | Last modified: 11 Oct 19 16:44
This term we have been working on Shields.
Created: 3 May 19 13:35 | Last modified: 3 May 19 13:37
Year 7 visited the Henry Moore Studio and Gardens as well as Wenbar Plastics for their 2017 Art Trip.
Created: 15 May 17 14:40 | Last modified: 15 May 17 14:42
Created: 9 Dec 16 12:41 | Last modified: 9 Dec 16 12:43
Various Art projects from pupils in Years 7 & 8 2016 - Summer
Created: 9 Dec 16 12:31 | Last modified: 9 Dec 16 12:40
Year 7 Portrait work 2016
Created: 22 Mar 16 12:53 | Last modified: 22 Mar 16 12:56