match reports

Soccer U11 A B C D & F VIIs vs The Abbey (A)


Holmwood travelled to The Abbey for their fourth match of the term. It was hoped that a change of formation would bring a change in performance. George L played in central defence with Hamish I and James N playing either side of him as wingbacks.
Charlie A played as the holding midfielder and Matthew B as the attacking midfielder. This left AJ P-S as the centre forward. Holmwood  immediately looked more comfortable playing this formation. George cleared his lines well Hamish I and James N looked solid in defence and dangerous in attack.  Charlie A dictated play from the centre of the pitch spreading the ball well. Matthew B was popping up all over the pitch and AJ P-S showed a good awareness up front.  Holmwood created lots of opportunities as well as hitting the cross bar in the first half.

Half time 0-0

The second half started as the first had finished with Holmwood domination possession.  A good move down the left hand side saw Hamish I put in a curling cross and AJ P-S beat the keeper to the ball and headed home from close range. Holmwood could have had more but could not get a foot to some excellent driven crosses particularly from the right. The Abbey had a chance to equalise in the final moments but could not hit the target.

The new formation certainly suited the boys and it will be used again in the coming weeks.

Well done a great result but more importantly a fantastic team effort.


Despite playing on a grass hockey pitch Holmwood coped well and were unlucky not to come away with a victory. The Abbey opened the scoring against the run of play after ten minutes after a wayward defensive pass. Holmwood attacked well throughout the game but lacked some composure in front of goal. They managed to hit the post three times before scoring a well deserved equaliser from Oliver J in the last few minutes.

 Result Match Drawn 1-1


On a cold windy afternoon the U11 played their first football fixture of the term. Holmwood did not get off to a good start with a defensive mistake letting The Abbey score first. With Holmwood 1-0 down but having all the possession theysoon found their feet. Arnav T battled well In the centre of midfield and Tom L with Ethan W were at the heart of Holmwood's defence. The equaliser came from Man D who was in the right way at the right time. The score was 1-1 at half time.

In the seond half, Holmwood continued to dominate the game even with players being rotated from their positions. Peter M, now playing up front, was to score Holmwood's  second, showing some individual skill to slot the ball home bringing the score to 2-1 to Holmwood. The game progressed with Holmwood looking comfortable but Oliver S in goal made some good saves to keep Holmwood's lead. Joshua M scored Holmwood's third and final goal of the game, showing a never-give-up attitude and chasing down the ball after his original shot hit the post! A good first game boys, well done, well played!


This was the 'F' team's first away match and their second game of the season. It was a sunny but windy as well as cold afternoon in Woodbridge.

The team were a bit rusty with their skills at the start of the game. However, Dominic T took to the conditions and proceeded to score a well-deserved hat-trick over the course of the match. He was ably supported in the midfield by James E and Archie L who scored two important goals.

The defence of Edmund A, Elliot W and goalkeeper Noah T kept Holmwood in the game. This was particularly the case in the second half when The Abbey made a comeback. Harvey F and David G also contributed to the 'F' team's first win of the season. Well done!

Final Result:   Holmwood 5 - 4 The Abbey