Match report

25 February 2017

Soccer U11 A VII at Finborough Tournament

On a cold and windy Saturday Holmwood attended the annual Finborough School Football tournament. There were four groups of 4 with the top two from each group progressing into the Cup competition and the bottom two moving into the plate competition. Matches would be 7m 30s each way with 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw. Holmwood were place on group D along with Kings Ely, St Felix of Southwold and Finborough B team. Pitch 4 would host group D's matches and with a slope and a strong wind Holmwood decided to try and kick up the slope and into the wind in the first half and use the wind to their advantage in the second half.

Match 1 
Holmwood won the toss and kicked up hill. A very close match was decided in the final minuets of the game with a scuffed shot the ended up at the feet of their Kings Ely left midfielder who tapped in. A good all round performance and unlucky not to get a point.
Final Score Holmwood 0 - 1 Kings Ely
Match 2 
Holmwood's second match was against last years finalist St Felix. Holmwood dominated the match and produced some fine one touch passing moves. The best of which resulted in a fine headed goal from Edward S. Harry O scored three and Holmwood picked up their first points of the day.
Final Score Holmwood 4 - 0 St Felix
Match 3 
Holmwood final group game was against Finborough B team. Other results in the group meant that unless Holmwood lost by 8 goals they would progress through to the Cup Tournament no matter the result.  Holmwood,  however, wanted to continue their great progress and ensure they finished the group phase with victory.  A goal a piece from Henry D and Harry O meant Holmwood  finished on 6 points and in second place in group D.
Final Score Holmwood 2- 0 Finborough B
At this point i would like to mention Sam F and William T who had so far  excelled in defence making vital tackles and good decisions and Patch A who at times was a spectator by was alert enough to make a vital save in the final group match.
Match 4 Cup Quarter Final
Oakfield would be Holmwood's opponents in the quarter final. Holmwood again won the toss and used the slope and wind to their advantage in the second half.
Holmwood again played fantastically well and did everything but score dominating large part of the match. When the final whistle blow it meant that the dreaded penalty shootout would decide who would progress into the semi finals.
Oakfield took the first and scored. 1-0
Harry O was first up for Holmwood, a good low strike just missed the left hand post and crept wide. 1-0.
Oakfield scored their second. 2-0.
This meant that Holmwood needed to score to avoid defeat. Henry D with an unorthodox run run also struck the ball low and hard but again it was just the wrong side of the post resulting in Oakfield progressing through to the semi finals.
The boys all played extremely well on the day and the improvements the team has made were very evident. The final was played  between Oakfield and Kings Ely. The two teams that Holmwood lost to. 
A big thank you to Finborough for hosting another excellent day of football and to all of the parents who came along to support the team.
Mr Lesiak