our History

Summer Term 1922

Holmwood House School was founded in 1922 by Mr and Mrs E F Duggan 'to develop the individuality and abilities of each child, to make him self-reliant and adaptable and to help him face reality'.   Except for wartime evacuation, the school has remained on the same site, two miles from the centre of Colchester, and it continues to pursue the same aims, but now, since 1985, in a truly co-educational environment. 

Having started with just three children, the school now has thriving Nursery, Early Years, Pre-Prep and Prep departments set in beautiful grounds, giving over 350 boys and girls, up to age 13, access to a huge range of academic, sporting, creative and scientific facilities. Click here to read more.