For an outline of the art curriculum by year group, please see our Curriculum Guides.
Philosophy of the Art Department
To produce a dynamic and creative environment that combines traditional media and new technologies to enable pupils to express their creativity, realise their imaginations and increase their self-esteem. This environment will give every pupil the opportunity to engage in and learn about the range of media and breadth of artistic activities the department offers. This will ultimately prepare the pupils for independent learning by developing their own concepts individually in personal project work.
- To encourage a passion for art.
- To enrich pupils’ visual understanding.
- To allow pupils to realise their imaginations and develop original thought, and to express themselves in a variety of media.
- To provide pupils with the skills, concepts and knowledge necessary for them to express their responses to ideas, feelings and experiences in a visual and tactile form.
- To enable the pupils to become visually literate by understanding art as a visual and tactile communication and to develop their ability to appreciate and evaluate images and artefacts.
- To develop pupils’ aesthetic awareness and enable them to make informed critical responses about their work and that of others.
- To introduce a broad spectrum of artists and Art movements, to develop the meaning and values of art from past, modern and contemporary art; to encourage a sense of Art history and an awareness of the contributions of artists from many cultures.
- To engage in the processes of art enthusiastically with two-dimensional and three-dimensional images.
- To embrace new technology in art and encourage experimentation with developments in this field.
- To provide equal opportunity for all pupils to fulfil potential, regardless of their gender, cultural background or ability.
Please click here to see examples of animations created by pupils during art lessons and in their own time.
ADODB.Field error '800a0bcd'
Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.
/inc/sub_SS_list_thumbs.asp, line 49
Year 7 visited the Henry Moore Studio and Gardens as well as Wenbar Plastics for their 2017 Art Trip.
Created: 15 May 17 14:40 | Last modified: 15 May 17 14:42
Created: 9 Dec 16 12:41 | Last modified: 9 Dec 16 12:43
Various Art projects from pupils in Years 7 & 8 2016 - Summer
Created: 9 Dec 16 12:31 | Last modified: 9 Dec 16 12:40
Year 7 Portrait work 2016
Created: 22 Mar 16 12:53 | Last modified: 22 Mar 16 12:56